Saturday, March 15, 2014

Afternoon Tea


La la la la laaa! Off to drink some tea.
Who's feeling fancy today? I am!!
     Today, Kaya and I went out for our usual Saturday morning tea. I had vanilla, she had green, and we both shared a plate of biscuits. Delicious! The café we dine at is upscale, so we always wear our best clothing and jewelry. This week, I even styled my hair, which is quite uncommon. I love how easy my short hair is to care for, but today, I wanted to change it up a bit. Taking pieces of hair from either side of my face, I twirled them to the back of my head. Then, I took my other hairs an pinned them straight up. What do you think? I love how different I look--it really helps me stand out!
Sweaters that tie, not button? Woah!
Sweaters that tie, not button? Woah!
     First, let's discuss this outfit's color palette. As you can see, the dress is composed of a few different pinks and oranges, maybe some gray in the center. I love the way each color fades from one to the next; it reminds me of a sunrise. In order to find accessories to match this complexly colored dress, I kept that sunrise thought in mind. What other colors can you see in a sunrise? Purple immediately popped into my head.
Let's talk jewelry.
Let's talk jewelry.
     Throwing on a purple cardigan, my dress looked better instantaneously, the colors so much more vibrant. Knowing which color made my dress look best, I decided to incorporate similar purple jewelry and purple(ish) shoes into the rest of the outfit. I can't even describe how much better it outfit looked! But don't worry if you can't find accessories in the exact same color. My necklace (which is actually a human necklace), gives the outfit dimension because it's not the same exact color. The pearls are black, but when light bounces off of them, they look purple. How cool is that! 
Spring flowers vs. winter snow. Hmmm.
Ooo, is this detailing pretty or what?
     When styling anything, not just dresses, really think about a color theme for your accessories. Chose a color that complements your outfit, then wear accessories in different shades of that color. This will help streamline your look, and prevent accessories from overpowering other outfit pieces. Also, just a general tip: always wear accessories! I figured you all know this, but I wanted to remind you just in case. Accessories are a way to elaborate your outfit, help bring out certain aspects of a dress or a pair of pants you really like. Maybe I should do an accessories master post. How does that sound? 
It's a bit chilly for bare legs. Oops!
It's a bit chilly for bare legs. Oops!
     Well, Kaya's calling, she needs some help with something. It's part of an extra special surprise post over the next few days. Get ready (hint hint: it has to do with yesterday's post)! Try an outfit like this at home: Throw on a dress, then a similarly colored sweater, preferably one color. Then, incorporate accessories of that color. This is the easies trick in the book for gorgeous outfits!
Stay fashionable,

--Ivy
Clothes
Necklace: Local boutique
Earring Studs: Pretty Party Earrings
Earring Dangles: Everyday Play Earrings
Dress: Local boutique

2 comments:

  1. Nominated you for the MagNeoBio award. :)

    http://marisasamericangirls.blogspot.com/2014/05/magneobio-award.html

    ~Marisa <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable dress and sweater combination. The Go Anywhere cardigan is one of my favorites. Lovely color and easy to put on and take off.

    ReplyDelete