Friday, March 14, 2014

Lazy Day

Hey! Welcome back!
Hey! Welcome back!
     Hey guys! Guess what? Spring is finally on the way! The flowers have begun to bloom, the temperature is warming up, and Kaya and I are very excited. I can't wait to start wearing shorts again, and she can't wait to finally walk to the library! But with all the sunny days we've been having, today was quite a disappointment. It was gray, cloudy, and all around belch. I decided to have a lazy day at home, catching up on some reading and browsing through Etsy. So many are shops releasing their spring collections, and I couldn't help but snatch up a few items. Maybe you can combine some new Etsy purchases with ideas from my blog. How cool would that be?
What am I looking at? Take a guess in the comments!
Gazing into the distance, deep in thought.
     When I think lazy day clothing, the first thing that comes to mind is oversized items. Big sweaters, sweatpants--stuff you can flop around in. That's what I tried to wear today. See how loose and flowy everything is? My clothing feels weightless; I could be walking on a cloud! Anyway, try mixing oversized items with slightly tighter pieces. Here, I wore a loose shirt paired with a tight mini sweater. This prevents you from drowning in your clothing. Besides sweaters, you can also wear skinny jeans to balance everything out, or add a belt.
Infinity scarfs are so much cuter than regular ones.
Infinity scarfs are so much cuter than regular ones.
     Another lazy day favorite of mine is scarves, but especially the infinity kind. If you aren't aware, infinity scarves are simply one giant loop (hence the name "infinity") of fabric which you can wrap around your neck multiple times. They are so much easier to wear than regular scarves, and a whole lot cuter. 
     I associate scarves with lazy days because of their usefulness (and, well, comfort, but you know that). You can add a scarf to any, and I mean any outfit, and it will immediately look better, while same time staying comfortable. Sweatpants and a pajama top? Add a scarf an you're good to go! In a
previous post, I mentioned using a patterned piece to bring your entire outfit together, like I did with this scarf. Go cheek that out to learn more!
Love this detailing!
Love this detailing!
     Let's face it. These pants are ugly, and should probably be burned. Why am I wearing them? They were a gift from my grandmother, and she wanted to see me incorporate them into an outfit. They look like men's pajama pants to me. Ew, ew, ew! But guess what? I know how to fix them! Ivy's tip of they day: don't like a clothing item? Change it! These pants fit fine, I just detest their bagginess. To fix this, I will be cutting and hemming them to make shorts. How cool is that! Try looking at local stores for cheap doll clothing, and then play around on a sewing machine to fix them up!
     The weird cardigan thing I'm wearing was actually an ugly shirt I modified. I simply snipped off the velcro, then hemmed the edges so they wouldn't fray. And don't worry if you have limited sewing experience (like me!), changing items is super, duper easy: everything is already made for you!
These shoes give this outfit a pop of masculinity.
Hiking, anyone?
     To complete the outfit, I added these hiking shoes. With all of the clothes I'm wearing looking so light and pretty, I wanted to add some toughness. These shoes remind me of stomping through the woods with their laces and dark coloring, but still match nicely because of the red patches. Try an outfit like this at home: Mix flowy and tight clothing to create contrast, or throw on a scarf to tie your look together. Modify strange clothing items to your liking, or sprinkle a but of "toughness" into your outfit, through a motorcycle jacket or lace-up boots. You'll be surprised by the results!

Stay fashionable,

--Ivy
Clothes
Scarf: Handmade by Ivy
Cardigan: Local boutique, then modified by Ivy
Shirt: Julie's Summer Skirt Set
Pants: Local boutique
Shoes Wilderness Outfit

My Instagram: http://instagram.com/ivysadventures 

No comments:

Post a Comment