Monday, February 24, 2014

Signs of Spring

I love the fun, bright colors in this outfit!
I love the fun, bright colors in this outfit!
     Hey all, Ivy here! I have a wonderful outfit prepared for you today. It was inspired the beautiful flowers of springtime, but is still comfortable enough for these last few weeks of winter. In my corner of the world, the weather has been warming up (45° F!), and I'm getting excited for spring. Birds chirping, grass peeking out from beneath the snow, the world slowly waking up, I love it! In this outfit, I took these springtime ideas and wrapped them up into a  bundle of cozy winter fun. Enjoy!
Saige had such a nice collection. This necklace was my favorite part!
Saige had such a nice collection. This necklace was my favorite part!
      The vest I'm wearing is adorable; I love that it's not a bright, harsh, white color. Instead, it's a beautiful cream shade which can be matched easily. It lays flawlessly across my chest, creating a wonderful strip of color down the center. This way, it acts as a frame for my necklace, giving it the perfect place to hang. Vests are a great way to give an outfit more flair. Not only are they cute, but they aren't too bulky and can be worn during any season.
   
Thumbholes
Thumbholes: yes or no? Tell me in the comments. 
     Ever heard of color blocking? If not, you've come to the right place! Color blocking is a fashion term that describes the usage of multiple, single colored clothing items in an outfit. In this ensemble, I used color blocking by matching a pink sweater and green skirt, but you can color block with all sorts of colors. Try matching deep purples and emerald greens, or sky blues and daffodil yellows. Avoid using prints though, sticking to single colored clothing items will prevent your outfit from becoming too busy. Still, don't be afraid of getting wacky, that's the whole point of this trend!

This trim is such a nice touch--it really spruces things up.
Trim is such a nice touch--it really spruces things up!
     I adore the ruffles on this skirt, they give my outfit a little extra sparkle. As said before, this ensemble was inspired by springtime, but more specifically, flowers. Let me explain. The boots, which are a light, earthy, brown color, are the roots. The skirt is the stem, and my favorite part, this trim, is like leaves. The shirt, vest, and necklace (which conveniently has a flower on it) are the bloom, the most beautiful part of the flower. 
     Modeling outfits after real objects, like I did here, not only ensures a aesthetically pleasing look, but it's also loads of fun! 
Experiment with these examples:
Bird                                         Pencil                                     Tree
Beak-Orange headband          Graphite-Gray scarf                Leaves-Green shirt
Body-Blue shirt                        Wooden Tip-Tan shirt             Trunk-Brown pants
Wings-Black pants                   Body- Yellow Pants                Roots-Black boots
Feet-Orange shoes                  Eraser-Pink shoes                 Birds/flowers-colorful bracelets
My meet boots in two words: simple & stylish.
These boots are simple yet stylish.
     Try an outfit like this at home: Go ahead--experiment with color blocking in your next outfit! I recommend looking at a color wheel beforehand. This way, you'll know which colors look great together. Also, be aware of your surroundings. Inspiration comes from everywhere, so take a look around--you might just spot your next outfit! 


Stay fashionable,

--Ivy
Clothes

I had a bit of trouble getting up the stairs:
Oops!
Help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment